Pantip-Cafe | Pantip-TechExchange | PantipMarket.com | Chat | PanTown.com | BlogGang.com  

มีเรื่องน่าประทับใจ และเศร้า ซึ้งเล็กน้อยมาฝากค่ะ ....TII Dancer Kriyss Grant talks about Michael  

ยาวหน่อย แต่เป็นบทสัมภาษณ์ที่จริงใจและน่าประทับใจจริง ๆ

Around the world Tuesday night, excited throngs will rush to midnight showings of its premiere, and locally, hundreds will attend Grant’s live pre-movie performance at the Muvico Parisian 20 in CityPlace, and then everyone will stream into the theater.

Everyone but Kriyss Grant.

“I’m not looking forward to seeing it,” he says of This Is It, the documentary culled from footage of the late Michael Jackson’s planned series of 50 concerts in London.

“I was there and experienced what I experienced, so I want to see it on my own. People will be watching me watch it. I can wait for the DVD.”

When the 21-year-old West Palm Beach resident talks about Jackson, he sometimes speaks haltingly, softly. Sometimes he refers to the late singer in the present tense, like you do when you lose someone you’re close to, and for an instant you forget they’re gone. A lot of people think of Jackson that way, but when Grant talks about him, he’s not just waxing nostalgically about an icon.

He’s talking about the man who was, briefly, his boss.

And when he talks about This Is It, he’s talking about a lot of should have, could have and never will be.

“I don’t know. I have mixed emotions about it,” says Grant, one of 12 dancers who were to have appeared behind Jackson in London. “It was supposed to be a tour. But it ended up being a movie.”

The graduate of G-Star School of the Arts was supposed to have spent the summer appearing in the most hyped show on earth, performing with the man he considers his first teacher, whose magical Moonwalk first made him want to dance.

He was supposed to have interpreted the legend’s music in front of the entire world, but the closest he got was dancing at Jackson’s televised memorial service at Los Angeles’ Staples Center, behind Jennifer Hudson and, later, the entire Jackson family.

He also appeared with his fellow dancers and Janet Jackson, Michael’s sister, in a tribute to the late icon at MTV’s Video Music Awards.

“It was hard for Janet, and hard for us,” he says. “But this whole thing was for him.”

In a way, Grant’s whole career has been inspired by Michael Jackson. No one who knows him is surprised that he wound up working for him.

“His dream was just to meet him, but he never dreamed of being able to perform for him. He just wanted to meet him!” says Grant’s mother, Tabitha Pizarro. “I’m just happy he reached one of his goals. And it was at a significant time – who knew Michael was gonna pass (away)?”

Choreographer Sean Green of local studio Sean’s Dance Factory, who added Grant to his crew when the dancer was just 14 years old, says Grant “never wanted to be labeled as someone’s backup dancer … but to be Michael Jackson’s backup dancer was OK!”

Born in The Bronx, Grant moved to Palm Beach County with his mother when he was 12. By then, he had been dancing for a decade.

“He started dancing when he was 2, on beat, with all the grown-ups,” Pizarro says. “I knew dancing was gonna be his future. And at the age of 6, he really began to idolize Michael. Everything was Michael. He would go into his room, watch the videos and taught himself to dance.”

“I would just dance, dance, dance,” Grant remembers. “I had just never seen anybody like him. He had such a presence on TV. I would see so much emotion there, and I wanted to be exactly like him. Everybody knew me as that Michael Jackson kid. Other kids wanted to be a Power Ranger or an action figure. I wanted to be Michael. Everybody called me ‘the Michael Jackson kid.’“

The icon was very much on Grant’s mind when he showed up at auditions for one of Green’s Dance Factory shows. Green says he had heard about this talented kid named Kriyss, who turned out to be “this little scrawny boy who said, ‘Can I do a Michael Jackson part?’ I had never seen him dance before, but we cleared the stage and played the music – it was a medley, including Smooth Criminal. And he ripped it.”

Grant joined Green’s troupe, performing at events such as Clematis By Night, and never failing to impress his leader. He didn’t like doing ballet – “he hated being in tights” – but he was “always so professional at that age, before his time. He was very sharp and detailed. He could be in a group of seven, and all eyes go to Kriyss.”

After high school, Grant dedicated himself fully to his career by auditioning for, and landing, a part on MTV’s Making the Band, where he and other young hopefuls vied for a spot in a group produced by Sean “Diddy” Combs. Repeatedly pointed out on the show as the best dancer of the group, Grant was nevertheless cut when it was determined he needed to work on his singing.

That’s what he did, “going full out” by getting a vocal coach, while continuing to work on his dancing.

His next big break was also MTV-related. He appeared on Randy Jackson Presents: America’s Best Dance Crew with a group of dancers, but they got cut early.

In the meantime, he was teaching and choreographing, until yet another MTV opportunity presented itself, in the form of yet another Jackson – Janet. The network was developing a show with the singer that never happened.

But that disappointment “just made me work harder,” which paid off when he was contacted by Beyoncé Knowles’ manager, who looked him up after seeing him on Making the Band. Grant worked with Knowles for about six months, and was planning to go on her tour as a dance captain, when he “heard all this talk about Michael coming back with a tour,” he says. “I thought, ‘Hmm … I want to do that!’ I was getting paid fine (with Beyoncé), but she said, ‘You should do it!’“

จากคุณ : SIMONBIRCH
เขียนเมื่อ : 26 ต.ค. 52 02:43:10

ข้อความหรือรูปภาพที่ปรากฏในกระทู้ที่ท่านเห็นอยู่นี้ เกิดจากการตั้งกระทู้และถูกส่งขึ้นกระดานข่าวโดยอัตโนมัติจากบุคคลทั่วไป ซึ่ง PANTIP.COM มิได้มีส่วนร่วมรู้เห็น ตรวจสอบ หรือพิสูจน์ข้อเท็จจริงใดๆ ทั้งสิ้น หากท่านพบเห็นข้อความ หรือรูปภาพในกระทู้ที่ไม่เหมาะสม กรุณาแจ้งทีมงานทราบ เพื่อดำเนินการต่อไป

Pantip-Cafe | Pantip-TechExchange | PantipMarket.com | Chat | PanTown.com | BlogGang.com