CafeTech-ExchangePantip MarketChatTrendyMobilePantown

trashcan sinatras: weightlifting

Trashcan sinatras: Weightlifting

This is a band fully associated with the 90’s. They released the first single ‘obscurity knocks’ in 1989 (if my memory serves me right) and pop songs, at least for me, have never been as clear ever again. Last full album was 8 years ago with ‘a happy pocket’ that contained a super cute song like ‘how can I apply’ and a holy remake of ‘to sir with love’. Their last mass release was a stint in ‘the smith is dead’. One simply can’t talk about this band without mentioning their rework of ‘I know it’s over’ on that album. Whoever knows this song knows that original version is already a song made in heaven but sad like hell. Morrissey sang it like he’s going to die tomorrow but TCS remade it like they wanted to but couldn’t die today because the sky was too beautiful.

We had already written them off as a never-come-back-again band. ‘Cake’ and ‘I’ve seen everything’ have already become classics, at least for me again. They’ve transformed into the most underrated and underappreciated band on earth, so the fans say. I simply can’t deny that because I still remember my college year with ‘I’ve seen everything’ cassette stuck in my car stereo for a month when Bangkok music world was crazy with alternatives. And a month for a guy as easily bored as myself is already half of eternity. I started liking one song from that album, then shifted to another, and another, and I came back to the very first song and saw a whole new dimension from the same song. All over again…..

Their new album opens with a track called ‘welcome back’. 2 minutes plus for the first song is a darn short one compared to the time they’ve been away and what they usually do (bar ‘how can I apply’) but what a way to welcome themselves back from the 90’s. It’s a reality that they are back to fill our world with melancholy beautiful melodic Scottish pop. Can’t say I understand totally what they sing without reading the lyrics but just look at the song name and you might not need to read any lyrics at all. How can you come up with a song titled ‘what women do to men’? No guy can exactly pinpoint what they do to us but I think you could feel what they could do in this TCS song. Mind you, it’s not just the song name, its melody will make you wonder if you’ve already been done too.

The only thing that lacks from this album is power. We used to have jingling guitar and uptempo beat in songs like ‘I’ve seen everything’, ‘hayfever’ or ‘even the odds’. But listen to what they have in place of the uptempo and you would wonder if you need those faster tempos in the first place. You simply melt. I won’t argue that the album is so sweet that you might want to switch to Franz Ferdinand and dance the time away once in a while. But I can tell that once you put it back on, ‘weightlifting’ will still eat you up wholly.

I type these through my first ever listening to the album. I wanted to review it song by song just like I usually do but there’s simply no other words suitable to describe this album, except beauty. After finishing this album the first time, I’m not sure I can go to sleep tonight….

I know this is one of the worst cliche' but if you’re buying one import CD this year, make definitely, absolutely sure it’s this one. If you’re one of the early ones, you can get two discs deluxe edition with two extra tracks and a bonus DVD. And if you’re one of the lucky first 5000s, you’ll get a signed lyric sheet.

And oh, whoever’s going to download illegitimate copy of this album, I’m really sorry for you that you can’t own something this beautiful (and not to mention my “wish” that FBI/RIAA/IFPI come knocking at your house. Soon…)

cover picture from amazon.co.uk

จากคุณ : kidousenshi - [ 28 ก.ย. 47 23:14:00 ]