CafeTech-ExchangePantip MarketChatTrendyMobilePantown

Steffi Graf VS Gabriela Sabatini - Exhibition Match

Back on court, Graf boasts big forehand

BERLIN (AP) -- Five years after her retirement, former world No. 1 Steffi Graf returned to the court Saturday and showed off the stroke that once dominated tennis.

Graf, who earned the nickname "Fraulein Forehand" in winning 22 grand slam titles, pounded old rival Gabriela Sabatini 6-1, 7-5 with her favorite weapon in a benefit match for her organization, Children for Tomorrow.

The 35-year-old German, who has kept a low profile since quitting the tour, admits she prepared hard for her one-day return.

In the past four weeks, she trained with Darren Cahill, coach of husband Andre Agassi.

"I was incredibly nervous at playing this match," Graf said. "I tried to catch up on all the things I haven't done these past five years."

Graf, kept busy raising two children with Agassi, has turned down all offers to play publicly again.

She relented this time after promoters promised proceeds would go to her charity, dedicated to children who are victims of war and persecution.

"That's really close to my heart -- that made up my mind," said Graf.

Sabatini, who once pushed Graf for the No. 1 ranking, admits she didn't have much chance against her old nemesis, although she too worked out for the benefit match.

Graf, cheered on by 6,500 spectators, didn't look far removed from the form she boasted before injuries forced her retirement on Aug. 13, 1999.

"She's just hitting the ball very well. It was like old times. Nothing's changed," said Sabatini, who won just 11 of their 40 career meetings.

The match was broadcast live on television across Germany, where Graf remains one of the country's biggest sports heroes.

Earlier in the day, Graf had the center court named after her at Berlin's LTTC Rot-Weiss tennis club, home of the German Open.

The court was the site of Graf's win as a teenager in the 1986 German Open final against Martina Navratilova, which first thrust her onto the international stage. She captured the event nine times, the most of any tournament.

"I'm surprised at the honor -- I'm only 35," Graf said. "But I have some special memories associated with Berlin."

จากคุณ : morning_cloud - [ 26 ก.ย. 47 12:26:18 ]